|At the end of the 18th
century and the beginning of the19th century agriculture and the alabaster trade began to
thrive, the roads were improved and the urban centre elaborated. The theatre Persio Flacco
was built in 1819, the promenade of the Viale dei Ponti was opened to the public and the
buildings in the Piazza dei Priori were restored in 1846.
On the 13th of March 1860 with 2315 votes in favour and 78 against the citizens of Volterra
voted for a United Italy .
In 1888 a large pychiatric hospital was built in the S.Lazzero area which became one of the largest in Italy.
As the post war economy was based on the alabaster craft and industry, the extraction of salt
and a few chemical and industrial plants, Volterra recorded a population of 17,840 in 1951 although this number has now decreased to 13,800 (1991).
Today tourism is gradually becoming one of the main economic resources,as Volterra is not only endowed with historical monuments that illustrate three thousand years of history but also offers three extremely interesting museums The Guarnacci Museum, the Art Gallery and the Museum of Sacred Art.
An old alabaster workshop
The market at the beginning of the 20th century
Promenade of Ponti