The 13th century Romanesque fašade extends to the entablature and bears the coats of
arms of the Farnese family . In the lunette above the main entrance there is a copy of the
original marble statue of the Madonna and child by a 14th century sculptor now in the
Museum of Sacred Art.
The interior was completely modified in the 19th century . In the presbytery there is a
noteworthy marble tabarnacle by a 15th century Florentine artist containing a Madonna and
child in glazed terracotta by Giovanni della Robbia and a wood panel of The Guardian Angel
by the artist from pomarance ,Nicol˛ Cercignani. In the nave the Holy Family by Maratta
and the Madonna of the Redemption a 15th century fresco transferred to canvas attributed
to Cenni di Francesco.
In the oratory of Saint Christopher there is a fresco of the Madonna and child
attributed to the artist from San Gimignano Vincenzo Tamagni.
The coats of arms of the city is the only decoration on this simple stone fašade.
The interior, modified throughout the centuries, has a single nave and a wooden beamed
The high altar is surmounted by an ostentatious 18th century marble tabernacle containing
the wood panel of the Madonna and child by a 15th century Tuscan artist. The presbytery
displays four funeral monuments dedicated to illustrous members of the Guidi family
including that of Monsignore Jacopo Guidi 1588 and Admiral Camillo di Jacopo Guidi 1719.
The paintings exhibited above the altars are The Conception by G.B. Naldini 1585, the
Nativity by Balducci, the Crucifixion by Cosimo Daddi 1602.
The church also houses the funeral monuments of Mario Bardini by G.Silvani 1616, Monsignor
Mario Guarnacci which he designed and had made before his death and a group of four glazed
terracotta figures by the Volterran sculptor Zaccaria Zacchi.
The Chapel of the Holy Cross, The
slaying of the innocent by Cenni di Francesco,
The Chapel of the Holy Cross. This elegant
little chapel was built by the Tedecinghi family in 1315 and was completely adorned with
frescoes by Cenni di Francesco in 1410. The frescoes tell the story of the Virgin and
Christ and the legend of the True Cross . Above the altar a canvas of the Crucifixion by
an artist from San Gimignano Vincenzo Tamagni.
This beautifully located imposing church was designed in 1627 by the Florentine
architect Giovanni Coccapani and consecrated in 1775 on request of the noble Volterran
Lodovico Incontri to replace the church engulfed by the landslip at Le Balze.
Its simple interior of a single nave displays the canvas painting of The Visitation of
Elizabeth by Cosimo Daddi, San Francesco Severio in India painted by Giandomenico Ferretti
in1743, a small wood panel , the central part of a polyptych depicting Elia sleeping
painted by the Volterran artist Baldassare Franceschini .
Before the entrance to the oratory there is an interesting sundial designed by the
Volterran Giovanni Inghirami in 1801. Each day of the year at midday, a ray of sunlight
shines through a gnomonic hole and falls on the marble meridian line marked out on the
floor of the church.
The church and the convent were built in 1445 by Michelozzi. The porticoed fašade
contains two chapels displaying the glazed terracottas of Giovanni della Robbia depicting
Saint Francis Giving the Rule to St. Louis of Toulouse and St. Elizabeth of Hungary; and
the Last Judgement 1501.
The interior has been partly restored to its original appearance . The high altar is
flanked by two paintings ; The Annunciation by the 15th century Sienese artist Benvenuto
di Giovanni and Madonna and child with saints by Domenico di Michelino.
The adjacent chapel displays The Immaculate Conception by Santi di Tito and the statues of
St. Francis and Saint Girolomo in glazed terracotta , attributed to Giovanni Gonmelli
known as the Blind man from Gambassi.
It is believed that the church was consecrated in 1120 by Pope Callistus II.
A 16th century portico embellishes the exterior while the interior is extremely simple
with a single nave and a wooden beamed ceiling. The church conserves a wooden painted 12th
century cross by a Tuscan artist and two paintings of Saints Attinea and Greciniana by
On the right wall from the altar there is a valuable 15th century marble tabernacle
recently collocated in the church.
This simple convent church with a single nave was built at the request of Raffaello
Maffei on the sight where Pope Linus residence once stood.
The high altar is surmounted by a wood panel of the Virgin and saints by Francesco Curradi
and the nave displays The Birth of the Virgin by Cesare Dandini (first half of the 17th
century), The Visitation of Elizabeth by Cosimo Daddi 1619. The presbytery houses the
funeral monument of Raffaello Maffei executed by an artist from Fiesole, Silvio Cosini in